+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,022: The Stars Take the Stage

Default Re: Chapter 1,022: The Stars Take the Stage

This week we finally get the overhead view of the Onigashima interior people have been asking for literally since the battle started. But what we're shown here actually raises a few new questions.

At a glance, I wasn't sure how to reconcile the view here with the mini maps shown during scene transitions previously.

But after a bit of looking and reviewing, I think I was actually reading the old maps a little wrong this whole time. There's still issues with the old map, but I think with this we've got it figured out.

The areas in grey below, I initially assumed to be large interior zones of what is labelled "Right Brain Tower" in the narration, but they're really just the walls of the dome. Solid rock, by the look of them. The only part that matters are the lines through each side, highlighted in red, which I now understand to be the long passages leading to the exterior that Franky fought Sasaki in and Big Mom chased Nami, Carrot and Shinobu down. They appear to have side rooms, but for the most part the Left and Right Brain structures are just straight lines.

But it still doesn't totally make sense. To match up with what's been shown in the actual manga, the minimap would need to be more oval-shaped. I played around with the warp tool in Photoshop and think I've tweaked it into something more accurate to the canon layout of the space, with a few main landmarks shown for complete clairty.

However, I made a post back in November (holy shit, we've been doing this for a while) looking at how consistently Oda tracked battle damage and character locations across the battlefield and it's still spot on here. This map shows the tower Zoro cut down, the place Yamato's handcuffs exploded and the path of Big Mom's attack on the Performance Floor right where they should be. It's also cool being able to spot the Pleasure Hall, the back entrance to the dome and the trench blasted by Kaido and Big Mom's combined attack on the roof on the overhead shot of the island flying on the next page.

Getting to the actual content of the chapter, Raizo's fight was a fun interlude in the early pages. Fukurokujo fighting with his earlobes and Raizo giving away his real self by talking are classic Oda gags. I can't see it being a particularly long fight, however. The next time we cut back to here should be the last. It's interesting too see that Ashura Doji's body has snow falling over it. I was pretty sure he fell inside the dome. Maybe the fake Oden's explosion blew a hole in the wall we didn't get to see at the time.

Killer and Hawkins are both fairly periphery characters in the grand scheme of things. Neither of them are all that emotionally resonant (though Killer's surprised me a few times this arc) and neither has the battlefield presence for it to be a point of tension if he's defeated or not. That's why it's such a clever move on Oda's part to have Hawkins connect himself to Kid. The stakes of the fight and its potential to force the characters into tough choices have just been raised tenfold.

King and Queen's villain spread looks incredible. I feel like I've been saying a lot that I'm looking forward to the colour manga version of different scenes, but it just keeps being true. Sanji taking damage going up against both feels like a way to level his playing field with Zoro, who got the chance to face Kaido. I don't think it has quite the same prestige, but it works for what it is.

Perospero is back outside, where he left Carrot and Wanda. I still think they're going to get back and contribute to his defeat, especially with the island having already moved back into seemingly clearer skies.

So King's special racial trait isn't to do with the wings or anything he might be hiding under his gimpsuit, it's making and controlling fire? What a novel and unique ability to naturally have access to without any help from devil fruits or technology...

I was tempted to include Doflamingo's Overheat as well, but despite the name and being drawn with an inexplicable warm orange glow, the ability has never been been shown generating actual flames. I also omitted Zoro for the moment, given that he's only shown the ability to cut fire, not to make it.

So either King's race has a pretty underwhelming perk, or they genetically integrated into the wider population over time, losing the wings but distributing enough fire-making genetics that a minor version of the ability shows up regularly. Or it could be similar to how water manipulation would likely be seen as a Fishman/Merfolk benefit, but it can actually be learned by anyone willing to put the time in. (once again, I'm willing to bet the Minks' electro could be taught the same the way)

But there'll definitely be more about that in the future! Because we it seems that this fire race once lived on the Redline (unless the leading name of this Red Wall is a red herring), which presumably makes them and their history fairly important. The fact that they have wings is also very interesting. He's doesn't seem to be Skypiean, Birkan or Shandian, the three important races depicted in carvings on the moon, but this fourth winged race that he is must be related to them somehow, right? King's race also differs from the other winged peoples of the world in that his wings are big enough to fly on. Are they a racial feature that's just somehow less remarkable than the fire? Is he perhaps the last of an ancestor race to the clipped-wing modern Skypiea/Birkan/Shanians, the same way the Ancient Giant race that produced Oars, his descendants and (kinda) the Numbers is larger and more monstrous than modern giants?

I'm surprised by how clean Zoro looks with the bandages off. I guess we can only really see his back, but there's no dried blood, no dirt, no wounds or anything. I'd kinda figured the Minks' cureall would just re-energise him and let him fight despite the injuries, not vanish them entirely. Basically, he looks like nothing happened, when I wanted him to look like Nothing Happened.

I hope Oda's willing to play with the 2v2 setup of this fight a little. Are King and Queen willing to give each other assists while Zoro and Sanji determinedly focus on their designated opponent? Or will we get another "ten seconds" scene where they team up and take the bigwigs down one at a time? Even just the chance for banter if they're fighting side by side is appreciated.

Here's to another excellent chapter, and with as few as three left in the volume things can only keep ramping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    defeats Perospero in a very definitive way.
    Considering you're even questioning the Tobi Roppo still being transformed as a possible hint of consciousness, despite the the fact that we've seen Zoans still transformed and K.O´ed in the past, seems like you're already mindset to not accept Perospero's defeat as definitive, as long as you keep believing that characters must only be defeated in this certain and specific way I expect them to, yeah, nothing will be convincingly definitive in that mindset of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Considering you're even questioning the Tobi Roppo still being transformed as a possible hint of consciousness, despite the the fact that we've seen Zoans still transformed and K.O´ed in the past, seems like you're already mindset to not accept Perospero's defeat as definitive, as long as you keep believing that characters must only be defeated in this certain and specific way I expect them to, yeah, nothing will be convincingly definitive in that mindset of yours.
    Well, act 3 seems to be near its end either way, so let's see what happens.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    His first name is Zoro just like Luffy's first name isn't Monkey, Sanji's isn't Vinsmoke, Chopper's isn't Tony Tony, Robin's isn't Nico. Also why would it be Lorenor that from what I know only the German translation came up with, which also renamed Luffy to Ruffy and Usopp to Lysop.
    Gotta admit Lysop does sound and fit better.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I still fondly remember the chinese bootlegs that gave us Sunkist and Liar Bu and Clark Dell and Tanjiahdo Loluflamingo and Bisoromi Bear...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Well, act 3 seems to be near its end either way, so let's see what happens.
    Yes, cause you keep stretching the numbers(?).

It should've ended like 10 chapters ago according to 10-chapters-ago you.

But I'm kinda curious, does it actually exist a point where you no longer will stretch it?

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Yes, cause you keep stretching the numbers(?).

It should've ended like 10 chapters ago according to 10-chapters-ago you.

But I'm kinda curious, does it actually exist a point where you no longer will stretch it?
    I'm not the author, I can only guess when/if he will do something. I'd have ended Act 3 already, he clearly didn't so far.

But Wano will have to end at some point, don't it?
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

5 acts its the traditional, but 3 acts its the most commonly used nowadays, I think you should keep that fact in mind and hold it with greater value than your theories.

I mean, just in case.

I'm not the author, I can only guess when/if he will do something. I'd have ended Act 3 already, he clearly didn't so far.

Yeah but if act 3 ends when Wano ends there won't be an act 4.

Unless somehow Oda introduces another antagonist
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I really wanna have more to say than just "Great chapter" but good action chapters mostly just speak for themselves.
    I wanna talk about King's fire race but there's just not much to be able to confirm there. I highly doubt they're just a "fluff" race though, they were introduced really late in the series. Pudding's three-eyed race ended up being really important (and we still haven't seen a "proper" three-eyes), so King's should be too.
    I'm sure someone mentioned it but it does seem to go against the Red Line being artificially made.

Anyway. Raizo vs Fukurokuju was like, decent. I'm glad the Straw Hats took the center stage 'cause yeah most Scabbard fights have just been decent.
    Besides them vs Kaido, that was awesome.
    Every spread in this chapter felt very weighty and really highlighted Oda's creativity, can't wait for the penultimate fights!

It's also GREAT timing that we get no upcoming breaks for a few chapters. Really keeps the momentum going on a high.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    This week we finally get the overhead view of the Onigashima interior people have been asking for literally since the battle started. But what we're shown here actually raises a few new questions.

At a glance, I wasn't sure how to reconcile the view here with the mini maps shown during scene transitions previously.
    https://i.imgur.com/FcInrUQ.png

But after a bit of looking and reviewing, I think I was actually reading the old maps a little wrong this whole time. There's still issues with the old map, but I think with this we've got it figured out.

The areas in grey below, I initially assumed to be large interior zones of what is labelled "Right Brain Tower" in the narration, but they're really just the walls of the dome. Solid rock, by the look of them. The only part that matters are the lines through each side, highlighted in red, which I now understand to be the long passages leading to the exterior that Franky fought Sasaki in and Big Mom chased Nami, Carrot and Shinobu down. They appear to have side rooms, but for the most part the Left and Right Brain structures are just straight lines.

https://i.imgur.com/LM8hP5P.png

But it still doesn't totally make sense. To match up with what's been shown in the actual manga, the minimap would need to be more oval-shaped. I played around with the warp tool in Photoshop and think I've tweaked it into something more accurate to the canon layout of the space, with a few main landmarks shown for complete clairty.

https://i.imgur.com/pt679qY.png

However, I made a post back in November (holy shit, we've been doing this for a while) looking at how consistently Oda tracked battle damage and character locations across the battlefield and it's still spot on here. This map shows the tower Zoro cut down, the place Yamato's handcuffs exploded and the path of Big Mom's attack on the Performance Floor right where they should be. It's also cool being able to spot the Pleasure Hall, the back entrance to the dome and the trench blasted by Kaido and Big Mom's combined attack on the roof on the overhead shot of the island flying on the next page.
    The one minor thing that triggers my OCD is that the castle entrance is for some reason to the left.

At least it explains why the basement is technically the first floor though (instead of the actual first floor). The entrance door is part of the rocky foundation.

Does anyone have any clue what King's race might be?

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    The one minor thing that triggers my OCD is that the castle entrance is for some reason to the left.

At least it explains why the basement is technically the first floor though (instead of the actual first floor). The entrance door is part of the rocky foundation.
    There is a much smaller door in the foundation in the middle, but it's almost never visible. The bubble for Ulti blocks it on the new overhead view, and the dust clouds from the battle block it out in almost every other shot.

Here's one of the few glimpses we've had of it.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Yeah but if act 3 ends when Wano ends there won't be an act 4.

Unless somehow Oda introduces another antagonist
    Act 3 ends when the battle ends. Act 4 is epilogue and building for the next arc...
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Act 3 ends when the battle ends. Act 4 is epilogue and building for the next arc...
    Yeah, usually but the way these act 5 ppl keep stretching things out its like we might as well ignore what's traditionally suppose to happen as long as there are 5 acts lol
    Last.fm

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    I agree with the overall feeling of disappointment with the Tobiroppo as a group.
    It saddens me that Sasaki had such a small role being one of the best designs in the group.
    Ulti shined more in comparison to her partners than by her own feats, I’d love if Oda developed her fighting skills further somehow.
    P1 did absolutely nothing, either as a character or a fighter. Really hoping he somehow wakes up and get a quick-5-pages clash before we wrap it up.
    Who’sWho was the most fleshed out I guess. We got a bit of backstory, some fighting techniques, lore drops and even discovered that he is kinda racist toward fishman. The only lingering thing is his face. I thought that his defeat panel would show us a torned mask and Jimbe would make a zappy remark about it since the topic was the meat of their taunting before fighting. Nitpicking, I admit.
    Black Maria was the best antagonist - she drove Robin to her limits both mentally and physically. I can’t ask anything else from her...maybe some explanation of her illusion mist and how it works, but only if I must.
    Drake...has been on the sideline for a while now. Together with Apoo. Hope they both turn it up and then some. Supernovas clash are supposed to be something wild, right?
    I think a lot of my disappointment with the Tobiroppo stuff (save for Ulti and Page One, which was poorly done for other reasons) is the fact that we spent around 20 chapters between the time the fights started and when they got real focus/concluded. I think it's most apparent in the Sasaki/Black Maria fights, which actually have a decent progression of events if you read them all at once and ignore the many, many scenes interspersed between the beginning and conclusion. If I had to guess, I'd say Oda really wanted Chaps. 1000-1015 to be focused primarily on Supernovas vs. Emperors for the sake of Chap. 1000/Vol. 100 promotion which led to these fights going to the wayside.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I still fondly remember the chinese bootlegs that gave us Sunkist and Liar Bu and Clark Dell and Tanjiahdo Loluflamingo and Bisoromi Bear...
    His name's Sauron
    He's just like a samurai

I wonder if the Vinsmoke clan have some latent DNA of what ever King is? They all descended from outer space and what ever became of the Vinsmoke’s lost their wings and knowledge of fire creation. But being from the stars like other sky people they felt they were the rightful rulers/kings of the blue world peasants. Some relation to Celestial Dragons blah blah blah. Then later Sanji taps into his fire creating heritage. Yeah that’s gotta be it right?
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it'd just be easier to say the space ppl with various abilities or a bunch of different space ppl mated with the entire human race and it got watered down over time but certain traits still pop up or can be triggered.
    Last.fm

Yeah that’s it right there! Probably extends to giant DNA, mink and Fishmen as well. All weird people in One Piece can be chalked up to old mixed up DNA across the world.
    Last edited by RomanceDawn; August 22nd, 2021 at 11:11 PM.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information